In Japan arrested a group of 16 people suspected of cybergaming

In Japan arrested a group of 16 people suspected of cybergaming

As reported by the local news Agency The Asahi Shimbun, the result of a joint operation by prosecutors of the 10 prefectures was arrested 16 people suspected of involvement in a criminal case on triptocaine.

Cryptogenic is the practice of using the computing power of unsuspecting users about this for mining cryptocurrency.

The arrested persons are suspected of installing malware onto victims ‘ computers for mining cryptocurrency. Assume that the suspects have launched their own websites to spread malware for mining, including the program Coinhive, which dealt with mining Monero (XMR).

The case against the 16 men aged from 18 to 48 was initiated on 14 June, although the first arrests took place in March.

The largest sum of money, which according to investigators was able to suspect the result of this activity amounted to 120,000 yen (1.084 USD). The police report stressed that the suspects receive only 70 per cent of the cryptocurrency, and the remaining 30 percent get Coinhive.

Read also – 5% of all Monero obtained illegally

Hisashi Sonoda, Professor, law school, Konan, specializing in cybercrime, noted that the arrests may be an excessive measure, since there are no legal precedents for such cases.

The company Coinhive launched in 2017, has become one of the most common online tools for mining Monero on web sites using the computing power of visitors. The script was used on YouTube and on websites of government and other governmental and other organizations.

This is not the first case of Japanese police on triptocaine. The first such case one of the suspects was convicted by the court of first instance and according to the decision of the court will have to pay compensation in the amount of ¥ 100,000 (904 USD).

News tags
Let's Disqus